Friday, July 30, 2010

The Smithsonian: Museum of American History

Our second choice of Smithsonian was between the Museum of American History and the Air and Space Museum and the winner is.....The Musuem of American History!
Our view on the walk from the Metro-train to the Smithsonian.
The Museum

One of the exhibits I wanted to see was the "Star Spangled Banner" which you cannot take pictures of, but which was beautiful!
After we exited the Exhibit we found this lady, who is playing Mary Pickersgill, the lady who sewed the Star Spangled Banner. My Youngest sat down with her and had a long, wonderful discussion about what she went through while making the flag.


A statue of George Washington.

Dorothy's Ruby Slippers from "The Wizard of Oz"

We watch the Olympics religiously every 2 years and my Oldest has 2 heroes: Michael Phelps and Apolo Ono. You should have seen his eyes light up when he discovered Ono's skates on display.


Carol Burnett's "Gone with the Wind" dress.

Lincoln's Hat.

Lincoln's Gun.
I do not know the story of this gun...someone gave it to Lincoln for some reason...but my gun collecting Husband knew everything about this gun! He was exstatic to find this gun on display.

I wanted to see the "Star-Spangled Banner" and the Declaration of Independence.
Here is the Declaration of Independence.

The Travel Exhibit:

My Youngest likes boats!

An old fashioned train.
And last but not least:
Julia Child's Kitchen!
Even though this was not our 1st choice, I think I enjoyed it more than the Natural History Museum. We did not tour the whole Museum, because we were dead tired, but I loved ever bit of it that I saw.















No comments:

Post a Comment